There are two things you need to assess in your apprentice – their level of skill and level of will.
The first step is knowing where your individual is in terms of their ability to do the job and their motivation level – their skill and their will to perform.
How to do it
- Diagnose whether the individual’s skill and will are high or low, for the specific task to be accomplished.
- Skills depend on experience, training, understanding, role perception
- Will depends on the desire to achieve, incentives, security and confidence
- Identify the appropriate style by using the matrix above
- Agree your intended approach with the individual
The next section looks at the details of each approach.