Can you provide a quick overview of your business? Penny Hydraulics is a UK manufacturer of lifting equipment. We have our own purpose-built premises housing a manufacturing and assembly plant, and we’ve grown to become the country’s leading lorry-loader crane, goods lift, and lighting winch manufacturer. We’ve provided lifting solutions for premises such as Buckingham Palace […]
The support your apprentices need
The workshop is available either online or delivered as a workshop to suit your learner’s needs.
Sessions for between 10-14 people can be booked and delivered at your premises or chosen location.
Simple, step-by-step bite-sized lessons that your learners can access at their convenience.
What People Have Said
Partnering with Apprenticemakers has allowed us to launch the programme with real momentum, and delivering this quality of service has ultimately had a very positive ripple effect throughout the business. Alex Dean, CLARION
It was such an enjoyable and thought provoking day for us all, which really helped us identify ways in which we can best support the mentors in this new role. Following the training we’re really excited at the potential for our new mentoring programme to provide a new level of support to our apprentices Vicky James, Merlin
The background to mentoring
- What is mentoring?
- What is an apprenticeship?
- What is mentoring not?
- How does mentoring fit into apprenticeships?
- What is the role of the mentor?
- What are the different types of mentoring relationship?
- Mentoring in summary
Mentoring skills and tools
- The key skills of a mentor
- How will you communicate with your apprentice?
- Body language
- Questioning skills
- Listening skills
- Creating a Professional Development Plan
- How can you be a good role model?
- What type of records will youneed to keep?
- How will you create the right environment for effective mentoring?
- What will you cover at the first meeting?
- How NOT to mentor
Understanding the legal and ethical requirements
- What are the boundaries of the mentoring role?
- What legislation relates to the mentoring role?
- How can I build a respectful relationship?
- How can I overcome barriers to effective mentor/mentss relationships?
The challenges facing apprentices in the workplace
- What is it like to start an apprenticeship?
- What are the demands faced by apprentices?
- What are the diverse capabilities required of apprentices?
Applying your skills, knowledge and experience to the mentoring role
- How does mentoring work alongside your other roles?
- Discussing performance with an apprentice
- Reviewing progress against the apprenticeship standard
- How to draw on mentoring skills if you're assesing an apprentice
- Putting mentoring skills into practice
Over the last ten years we have worked with countless organisations, both large and small, to help them to implement mentoring programmes across their business. More recently we've been extending our experience and best-practice of mentoring to support apprenticeships.
We've collected a number of case studies from organisations who have successfully intgrated mentoring into their apprenticeship programmes.
As a key factor of pastoral care it has been shown to increase productivity, improve retention rates and support the development of a committed workforce.